Sunday 13 March 2011

McCalls M5319

I have a couple of special occasions to go to this year but due to an operation last year I have gone up in clothes size so none of my dresses fit me at the moment (am on my way back to previous size but that is for another blog)
I decided I would make myself this dress
http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m5319-products-4899.php?page_id=521 (I am doing view A)

Going by the measurements on the pattern envelope I had to make a size 16 which I knew would be too big around the waist (I have a small waist even though the rest of me is larger LOL)
I have made the mock up of the dress out of calico (will add photos later) and had a fitting this morning.
The fit was quite good everywhere except, as I thought, on the waist. I have to take it in by 1cm under each arm as the underarms were gaping and then need to lose 2cms each side at the waist. 
I am making the dress out of petrol blue taffeta which has pale peach embroidered flowers all over it. Instead of adding a lace panel under the bust I am going to be using a plain petrol blue taffeta.
I haven't decided on the length yet, the toile was just below my knees but I can't decide whether to leave it that length or shorten to just above the knee.

Will post updates and progress as it happens.
Has anyone else made this dress, if so how did it go?
before being pinned for alteration front view


before being pinned for alteration back view

after being pinned for alteration front view

close up view of front pinned alterations.

No comments:

Post a Comment